The Delta is a virtually untouched freshwater wetland at the heart of Botswana’s arid Kalahari Desert. It supports an abundance of wildlife in a dazzling natural setting. Plus you can combine it easily with other Southern Africa destinations like Victoria Falls, Kruger and Cape Town.
With superb safari lodges located in the Moremi Game Reserve (one of Africa’s greatest game viewing destinations) and exclusive private concessions, the Delta offers a safari experience bar none. Below are our top 6 Okavango Delta safaris.
- Fly in lodge safari to the Delta, Chobe, Moremi and Central Kalahari
A 13 day luxury lodge safari, exploring the spectacular northern and central Botswana wilderness areas. You will discover the lush, green oasis of the Delta, see the famed elephant herds of Chobe, experience the plethora of bird and animal species that call Moremi National Park their home, enjoy the remote and vast expanse of the private Kwando Concession, the famous black-maned lions of the stark Central Kalahari Game Reserve, and the towering Baines’ Baobabs. This safari offers an in-depth, all round, true Botswana wilderness experience – a once in a lifetime safari!
- Chobe National Park – huge elephant herds & sunset boat cruise
- Linyanti Wildlife Reserve – pristine wilderness area
- Moremi Game Reserve – day & night open 4WD game drives
- Okavango Delta – scenic beauty & mokoro excursions
- Central Kalahari Game Reserve – untamed Africa
- Nxai Pan National Park – wide open spaces
2. Family adventure in the Okavango Delta & Chobe
This 10 day mobile camping safari begins with three nights on the remote Chief’s Island in the Delta. From there you will visit some of the best wildlife areas of northern Botswana.
You’ll experience the luxury of being in the Okavango Delta, while having the flexibility and excitement that comes with a fully serviced, comfortable mobile safari. Self-sufficient and self-contained, mobile camping is the ultimate family safari experience which will be a highlight for any family and will be talked about for years to come.
- Family adventure in the wilds of Botswana
- Okavango Delta basic lodge with family tents
- Wilderness camping in pristine wildlife areas
- Safari guides trained to entertain & educate children of all ages
- Full daily programme with lots of child friendly activities
- Adventure for the whole family
3. Mobile camping adventure in the Okavango & Chobe
A 10 day luxury mobile camping safari discovering Botswana’s amazing scenic contrasts and excellent game viewing. This journey will take you through the wildlife highlights of Botswana – Moremi Game Reserve, on the eastern edge of the Okavango Delta, to Savuti and Chobe, known for their elephant herds and enormous lion prides. You will experience an African safari of a bygone era – sleeping under canvas and travelling with extremely knowledgeable guides through Botswana’s remote wilderness.
- Exploring the fringes of the Okavango Delta by mokoro
- Game drives in Moremi Game Reserve
- The freedom of the Khwai Concession Area
- Charter flight over the Okavango Delta
- A cruise on the Chobe River
4. Horseback safari in the Okavango Delta
There is no better way to savour the Okavango Delta and experience its unparalleled wildlife population than on horseback. The annual flooding of the area leaves vast swathes of the Delta inaccessible to vehicles, making horses the most natural and exciting means to explore this amazing area.
- Access to remote areas inaccessible by vehicle
- A chance to explore this magical wilderness area from a completely different vantage point
- Mokoro excursions, exploring the tranquil waterways of the Delta
- Game walks and game drives with a qualified guided in the heart of the Okavango Delta
5. Camping holiday visiting the Delta, Victoria Falls and the Kruger National Park
A 16 day camping safari through Zimbabwe and Botswana exploring the amazing culture and natural beauty of both of these countries. Marvel at the Zimbabwe Ruins, and the wondrous Victoria Falls. Experience the Okavango Delta by traditional dug-outs and huge elephant herds of Chobe National Park by boat. This safari has it all – exceptional wildlife, intriguing history, and culture!
- Kruger National Park game drives
- Zimbabwe Ruins
- Matobos National Park
- Hwange National Park
- Victoria Falls
- Chobe National Park sunset river cruise
- Okavango Delta mokoro excursions
6. Yoga safari in the Okavango Delta
Spend 10 days exploring the best of Botswana’s acclaimed wilderness areas, from the arid beauty of the Kalahari, to the emerald oasis of the Okavango Delta and the elephant dense Chobe National Park. Combine the magic of incredible wildlife sightings with the peace and relaxation that comes with a morning yoga practice and afternoon meditation in pristine African bush.
- Daily yoga and meditation
- Central Kalahari Game Reserve – a wildlife haven
- Okavango Delta – day and night game drives in open safari vehicle
- Savuti – wild and wonderful
- Chobe National Park – huge elephant herds