Azura Quilalea is a wholly uninhabited island paradise, somewhere to retreat from the hustle and bustle of daily life, with a relaxed and understated ‘Robinson Crusoe’ castaway style that belies the comforts and experiences on offer.
Surrounded by the pristine, balmy waters of the Quirimbas Archipelago marine sanctuary, you can snorkel the island’s shores, dive directly from the main beach, kayak the mangroves, relax beneath the giant baobabs (of which there are more than 50 on the island), explore the island on nature walks, and go deep sea fishing. Land based activities include cultural trips to Ibo Island, romantic beach dinners and treatments at the African Spa.
Dive the Quirimbas.
The island is a heaven for avid divers and snorkelers. There is an abundance of sea life, scuba diving and snorkelling, all available straight off the main beach, and exciting dive sites further afield. Humpback whales and nesting turtles are seasonal visitors to the island, while dolphins are a year-round delight.
Azura Quilalea’s nine seafront villas offer the ultimate private luxury, perfect for honeymooners or the romantic at heart. Each is built from natural coral stone and makuti thatch and the décor is simple yet stylish. All villas have air-conditioning, indoor/outdoor showers, daybeds and sun loungers for relaxing, and private decks stretching out to the beach, perfect for taking in those magnificent views.
The main bar and pool area offers plenty of areas in which to relax, whilst enjoying the mesmerising, azure views. Throughout the year, the East African Trade winds bring welcoming cool breezes and each villa is positioned to take advantage of the relief from the heat that they bring.
Reasons to visit
- A private Island in southern part of Quirimbas Archipelago
- Exclusivity with only nine Villas on the island accommodating a maximum of 18 guests at any time
- Marine sanctuary scuba-diving and snorkelling from the main beach with further dive sites in the area
- Eco-friendly retreat making extensive effort to leave a light footprint
- The perfect ‘beach’ accompaniment to the ‘bush’ experience of a Big Five safari in Zimbabwe or South Africa